Monday, October 03, 2005

Parsing

Today I discovered something new to abhor and to complain about here, and it's not going to be about that brat in Spanish class who's hardly opened her mouth but who's made herself understood that she's WAY to advanced for everyone there and that yeah, of COURSE she can handle a project by herself because she's just such an amazing señorita that she helped furnish the Spanish faculty, curriculum, and department lock, stock, and barrel, and everyone goes to her to translate Spanish movies into English.

So, back to parsing.

I don't know if parsing exists in English, but if it does, God help us, because I don't see how people could want to do this in two languages.

Parsing. Even the word sounds like you should be pulverizing the fleshy part of your fingers against a cheese grater.

It starts out harmless enough as explaining "the morphology and syntax of a word of phrase." That sounds kind of like the morphology we did in Hertzog's class, no? But no, it goes on to where in an exercise a simple verb suddenly becomes "circumstantial verb form with 3rd. masc. sing. suffix pronoun as subject." This brings students back to the age-old question of why do we NEED to know this? And this brings me around to asking "So why am I taking Egyptian again?"

The answer is pretty simple. I figureD, I can't talk about anything normal with people, like what the party was like over the weekend, the OC, boys (HA!), or the latest Franz Ferdinand album, since I would end up talking about things like...ROSWELL. So here is my chance to be way cool at frat parties and talk about, what else: Egyptian!

Way to go, Adrianne.

Just as an aside, I am not taking Egyptian to have more things to talk about with you. I'm taking Egyptian so that I can ruin that Spanish student girl's life, and I WILL accomplish this by taking Egyptian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home