Friday, December 02, 2005

Something to get off my chest

I felt like addressing something other than my essay (which, I must confess, is still virginally blank, as empty as the hour it was born, a word document rasa, and would you look at the time, it's 1:33 AM, and I've got an 8:30 AM class because my Egyptian teacher is as mad as a hatter), and it's about those "dancing" movies that come out nowadays.

I enjoy these terrible movies, these movies that take the plotline from D-class movies and add dance and occasionally song to them, these movies that make normal people's skin crawl to the earth as they watch actors who can't play wet in a shower dance to the latest rum-tum-tum music out there, or as they take a group of unruly teenagers and suddenly make them disciplined because they learned the cha-cha-cha.

Ahh, these are the trailers that keep me from writing my essays. For instance, the one that is coming out now, Take the Lead or something like that, with my amigo Antonio Banderas. This movie became 100000 times better after I discovered that he is in it, not only because he speaks Spanish (Hola Antonio!) but because in every single Spanish book I have ever had, there was always a blurb about how "This man is Spanish. This man is famous. Spanish people are famous too, you know, now let's move on to Frida Kahlo."

I have read so many mini biographies on Antonio Banderas that this is why I would feel extremely comfortable to perform the following: if I were to see him in the grocery store, I would be cool with saying to my friend next to me "Hello Bob! I would like you to meet Antonio, who is interested in establishing an acting school for teenagers in Spain, and who had a lot of fun being the voice of that one character in Shrek." I would then suavely ask Antonio where the tomatoes are, and direct him to the nearest aisle for the balsamic vinagrette.

Anyway, these are also the movies that keep my downloading terrible, terrible ballroom dance music because I never ACTUALLY get around to watching these movies aside from their trailers, and then I say "Hey, I actually like that one song they play for 7 seconds while their doing their dance sequence, I wonder if I can download it!" And then I type in a genre into soulseek, download the first song that seems Take the Lead-ish, and POW, my ears are accosted with the latest latino flop out there.

I remember seeing one of these dance movies: Dirty Dancing. This movie, I think, is a rite of passage for everyone. It's at that point in your life that you realize that yes indeed, every single cheesy scene you could have ever dreamt up of CAN be compiled into circa 110 minutes of film, and that the song "Time of Your Life" can be made worse than it already is. Ever since I've seen that movie, I can't listen to that song without imagining a Patrick Swayze-like man twirl me around on some sort of empty stage, wherever that may be.

Probably the cheesiest, sappiest movie ever produced, but I veritably applauded when that Ferris Bueller's Day Off girl FINALLY got that whole flying/levitating move right and she took off.

This would also lead me into a conversation about Dirty Dancing II: Havana Nights (Dear God! Dancing AND Salsa! Do I hear a Best Picture Nomination?!?!?!?!), but no one wants to hear me gushing over that one.

Anyway, I guess this would indicate I've got to get something down on this sosc paper. I forgot to add on my evaulation sheet that this class makes me want to kill small animals or large insects. This essay is like water torture. I can't STAND THIS. And I can't stand knowing how much I'm going to have to do over this weekend.

I am so screwed.

Someone should just figure out a way where I can just put all my ideas onto blog without having to type it. When in the world did I become such a blogging fiend? I am just batshit INSANE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home