Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Look holy everyone!

I entirely forgot Lent is coming up! This means I should give something up. But first, I'm going to re-evaluate my religious life since coming to college. I am going to reserve my spot in Hell for doing this.

While living at home with my mom and sister, I could count on one hand the amount of times I missed mass. In fact, I seem to only recall once, when I was about 8 or so and I was on my deathbed with a cold, when I was probably praying to not die and for the souls of my stuffed animals while my sister and mom went about their business as usual. I also remember one time my mom left me in a huff because I could not find any socks without holes in which to go to church, but you know, some people are just impatient, and you can't show up to church with holey (holy) socks. Or bare soles (souls).

This year however.

When I came to college, my mom would religiously call me each Sunday to make sure I went to church. I did, and she eventually got the point and stopped asking me. But I remember missing the first time last year...it was because I had an insane amount of work to do or something. Then it started to turn into a guilty pleasure. Even when I went, I was sort of a flake about it. The mass starts at 11, and I would get on the 11 o'clock bus to get to mass, so I'd stroll in 15 minutes late while the priest still melodically droned on during his greeting about flowers. Or something slightly more reverent.

This year with the new priest though, I tried winging the same 11 o'clock bus once, and I sauntered in at 11:10 AM with half the mass already done with. This is A Problem. This means I'd have to:

a. Take the 10:30 bus
b. Walk to campus
c. Go at 9 PM. And I don't like evening masses
d. Sleep

I've been to mass an irreverent twice. Guess which option I chose. If my mom knew about this blog she'd send me straight to a convent.

The long and short of it is that I don't know what I want to do for Lent. Give up clubbing small children? Chocolate? Facebook (as seems to be the trend)? Swearing? Tobacco chewing?

What I do know I want to do for the next week or so until my art history paper is due next Thursday is post my progress on here. The goal is 2 pages a day. Realistic, eh? Right now I'm at...one page, without double-spacing the header and minus an intro paragraph. Because I basically have no thesis. I will edit this amount before going to sleep tonight. If I get to sleep, that is, but right now I HAVE to nap.

**Essay Edit**
1:53 AM
Two pages done
Pain factor: Extremely high. Have not studied AT ALL for Egyptian quiz tomorrow. In fact, have not even read the chapters they are over. Shit.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't your mom know about facebook? and then she might get link savvy and then you'll be locked away in a convent...or a tower maybe. then what about your blog?
I found a website you might like

http://photoshopcontest.com/archives/photoshop-contests.html

I like it. I could see you winning one of those. tomatofish is pretty cool.

ps I think for Lent you should give up using words that start with the letter "t" You'd probably be working harder than all the other Lent-ers combined.

sorry this comment is enormous.

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sorry I didn't really explain the website. They post a random picture and people play with it on photoshop and submit their creations and there's winners. People are pretty weird basically.

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts always make my day.
love,
shikha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home