Friday, March 31, 2006

Thanks for everyone's sympathy concerning my computer

I've right now got the cmore registration page open, and I'm going to bring myself around to dropping Egyptian before the night is over. There really is no rush, since Egyptian would start at 8:30 AM, and my class after that is at 11:30 AM, so I could basically sleep in during the morning if I didn't pick up a new class right away.

I've been agonizing a lot over this decision for the past two days, and yeah, two days doesn't seem like a lot, but when you didn't get a lot of sleep the past two days because you were translating medieval Spanish while worrying about Egyptian in the back of your head, then it seems like a lot.

I really hate quitting things in the middle. Why did I even start it then? Theoretically, I started it because I thought Egyptian would be fun, which it was for a while. Only for a while now, I haven't been learning anything so much as sitting absolutely petrified of the work and wondering why I started th class.

And I don't really have many reasons for taking the class.

1. I will never be an Egyptologist. Or marjor in Near Easter Languages and Civilizations.
2. I don't enjoy it anymore.
3. I am not finding a solution to world hunger through this class, nor do I think I'm any step closer to single-handedly bringing about world peace, either.

HOWEVER, I still have a nagging feeling that I could finish it if I stuck to it. Granted, I'm sure I could have accomplished a lot had a stuck to it long enoough, but right now I'm more thinking about chemistry. Last year, when I had to make my big chemistry decision, I felt this way too. I've felt this way several times since then, but that was the last time I agonized over the class. When I decided not to take it, I wrote my TA an e-mail to let him know, since he was nice, went to Berkeley for undergrad, and was from CA. Here's part of what he wrote me back:

"Are you sure? Well, I'm disappointed that you don't want to continue, but if you're not getting anything out of it I guess there's nothing you can do. Actually, to be honest, a lot of people do shit they hate for years (I know a few of them in Chemistry), so it's actually kind of good that you're figuring this out early on."

Further proof I save every e-mail ever written to me.

Anyway, somehow that made me feel better about leaving chemistry. I had decided it wasn't worth paying for bad grades, and that I could be doing something better with my time.

I also think I saved this message because he put the word "shit" in there, and at that time I still felt pretty "badass" if I even said "damn."

Well, shit. Times change.

Curiously enough, when I was standing around debating between to hieroglyph or not to hieroglyph on Wednesday, who should I see but my old chem TA in the first time in over a year, who I talked to for about 3 seconds, but, you know, he deemed me worthy enough for a conversation, even if I was not taking chem.

So yes. By dropping Egyptian I'll probably lose tons of cool points, I will be reduced to cleaning public bathrooms, and I might just become sterile, but, well, in 2 weeks time, you won't even remember I dropped it. And if I still took Egyptian, in 2 weeks I might just become rabid or suicidal.

Here I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home