Sunday, June 04, 2006

Entirely Uninspired

You know how you find something you can't get enough of? (<-- Yes, I DID just end that sentence in a preposition) Like a box of Trader Joe's truffles rolled in just the right amount of cocoa powder? Or Trader Joe's cinnamon alphabet cookies? Or Trader Joe's mango sauce? Or Trader Joe's Cranberrry Crunch cereal? Or Trader Joe's dates? Or anything at all from Trader Joe's?

In retrospect, I think it's always been obviously that I get easily hooked on some things. In high school, I ate oatmeal every morning for 4 years. During that time there was also a full year where I ate basmati rice every day after school, and then there was ramen after school, and then Trader Joe's chicken sausage, and let's not forget that trend I had of just eating cooked broccoli and celery every day at 4 PM.

These diets not only gave me a golden opportunity to think about writing a book about how to be, ummm, full-figured for the entirety of high school, but it also provided a vehicle for getting pinned to the tv every day after school for me to watch my favorite segments from my favorite movies. This would include the first hour of West Side Story, The Apartment up until the scene he gets punched, several of the singing/dancing parts of Singin' in the Rain, and I don't remember what else. By the way, now I can't watch these movies very frequently. The point is, everyone, that in high school, I wasted an ungodly amount of time with IM, movies, and eating.

So at the risk of some of you guys lifting your eyebrows in disbelief, I'm just going to say that I think I've kept my hooks to a minimum this year. I mean, there WERE those 3 months where I ate frost-bitten woefully-tasteless veggie-burgers every night, but that was NOT BY CHOICE, that was because there was NOTHING ELSE AROUND. But other than that, I can't really think of anything else I was hooked on.

Until this weekend.

Last week, Mary Kate made the grave mistake of borrowing the first season of Lost from someone on the floor. I could only watch the first disk last week, but since then, I've caught up. I think it started Thursday when a supernatural force drew to me to the small pile of Lost disks on the TV table and I popped one into my computer. I felt like all the car accidents in the city and all the kidnappings of the day would have grown 10-fold if I would not have watched 5 episodes of Lost in a row. With lots of determination and a minimal amount of effort exerted, I emerged triumphantly around 3 AM, done with the first season. I felt like I had just averted a world crisis by finishing the first season. Lots of hard work gets you places, everyone, and now I'm just praying that no one in the room will ask to borrow the second season someone burned onto disks, because if so, I know I'll start packing on Friday night to move Saturday morning.

Life seems kind of empty and bland now that I finished the first season. How am I going to pass the time between writing each sentence on my Spanish paper? How will I entertain myself in the break I take between eating and going to the bathroom? Or the break between waking up and eating? Or the breakbetween putting my pants on and then my top?

God. I am like a hollowed shell.

Do not give me easy access to the second season before Tuesday at 5 PM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home