Monday, July 10, 2006

I'm still alive

We don't have to point out the obvious: I am really bad at predicting things. But what will be even more obvious within moments is that I should just stick to taking pictures instead of getting into the movie business.

To watch the game, I went to Circo Massimo which was where, way back in the day, all those brawny Romans had their chariot races. Now, it functions as a large latrine for tourists and a big basin where lots of protestors can go and get drunk. While protesting of course.

So when I went on a walk the other day to go to a lookout point, I ran into two boys from Berkeley who had studied abroad for a year in Paris. Luis hated Hungarians, and Mike had holes in his shoes. Both of them were going to Circo Massimo for the soccer game.

Libby came with me to watch the soccer game. There were tons of people in this large basin, and there was a cloud of dust, pot smoke, and cigarette smoke hanging over the entire thing like a fog. We bounded in head-first and proceeded to demonstrate that we actually had no idea what the hell was going on in the game, but hey, enthusiasm is catching.

Rome was not built in a day, but a World Cup victory definitely had the power to destroy the city in a night. When Italy won, every nook and cranny reverberated with screaming, bellowing, and fireworks. The whole general mayhem.

That is...I think Italy won. But maybe they just did all this because it was a Sunday.


































































































It got SOOOO much more crowded after that. After the national anthem was sung on TV, you couldn't even see the ground. Libby and I had just escaped from the pit early.


































Hey Libby! We're going to step in a mud pile of astronomical proportion in 3 seconds! What do you have to say about THAT?!


































Movies to come after I eat. Or maybe tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Kat said...

know who else hates it when european protesters get drunk? n.lux. and that's a fact, jack.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW you were at the game?! I can't even imagine how crazy Italy was/is after that victory. LUCKKKKYYYYYY.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OKAYOHMYGOD I wish I was there!! Mommy found out about me going to SF, by the way. But I think she still loves me. Meg and I think you should be a famous photographer/archeologist when you grow up. XO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home