Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hum

Everyone has at least one relationship like the following: you see someone so often that you just start saying hello to each other because why not? You always make eye contact, you always smile at each other, you might as well do a small little "Hey" along with it.

Well, I have a few relationships like that on campus, except my particular problem is that I always feel like I know them because I have a terrible time remembering faces. Last year when I was riding in the elevator with a redheaded boy and my roommates, I had a pretty long conversation with the guy as if I knew him. After my roommates and I alighted, they asked how I knew him and I told them I had met him last year when I overheard him talking about being on the frisbee team and I asked him a few inane questions. They said no, that was not him and courtesy of Facebook, we were able to confirm their suspicion: redheaded boy in the elevator was indeed NOT redheaded frisbee boy. Which means I had held a pretty long conversation with a complete stranger. Thank God Jake and I are now friends and that there aren't so many redheaded boys at school. So I can now freely go up to any redheaded boy and start talking about my underwear of the day and it would be a pretty good chance that it was Jake.

A similar phenomenon happened to my yesterday. I was walking when I passed by a boy I thought I had met through my friend Arwyn. Someone who I keep on seeing around campus and we keep on smiling at each other, but never actually say anything much because we don't remember each other's names. This time I just stopped and said "OK this is getting ridiculous. I don't remember your name and we keep on saying hi." So we introduced ourselves (Hi, I'm Adrianne, Hi, I'm David) and we went on our merry ways.

Later in the day I greeted Arwyn with the great news that guess what! David and I are practically best friends now! To which she replied with "I don't have a friend named David." To which I said something like "I have PROOF that you have a friend David, lo and behold, here is a picture with you and him." To which she said "That's my friend Ivan."

Which means that yet again I have introduced myself to a bona fide stranger. And I won't know if I'm saying hello to Ivan or hello to David.

3 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jesse Farmer said...

Perhaps you have a hard time remembering faces, or maybe you're living a terrible nightmare in which daemons torment you with the faces of the dead? Who's to say, Adrianne? Who's to say?

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Average Joe said...

This post confused me. You met who now?

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah! you rock adrianne! aWkWarD!!!!!!!!!!!!

-l juan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home