Friday, August 31, 2007

The Life of the Temporarily Unemployed

This past week I've only gone back to visit where I used to work twice, and have only baked for those people once. The latter was only accomplished by superhuman restraint, as you can tell from the contents of my refrigerator that it took effort to actually get normal food in there and not just use up the ingredients I had to make a million batches of muffins or blueberry cheesecake. It is hard to be a woman and a baker, but it's even harder to be a woman and not a baker.

During one of those days at around 9 PM it dawned on me that I had not yet talked to a human that day. That is when I decided it would be the perfect time to call up Dell technical support and order a new keyboard to replace the one that's been broken for over a year, a phone call which required me to be on hold longer than I talked to an actually person. Which means that my spacebar no longer has to be pounded with a hammer to do its job, and my "Ctrl" and "Alt" keys each have designated coverings.

I think it was about one year ago where I was stuck on my island and dealing with a similar situation: namely, being entirely alone after daily being surrounded by people. It's odd. But definitely welcome.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you SURE you want to go to Costa Rica? I here there's a hurricane in the country just north of it . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home