Thursday, October 18, 2007

Who am I kidding?

The other day I received this email from the library:

Dear Adrianne Gyorfi:
The item you recently recalled - "Standing in the tempest: painters of the Hungarian avant-garde, 1908-1930" - is, according to our records, already charged out to you. Please let me know if you believe this to be incorrect.
Ben Nelson
Customer Service Assistant
Joseph Regenstein Library
bln@uchicago.edu | (773) 702-8701
P.S. How's it going?


My friend, Customer Service Assistant Ben Nelson, assured me that this happens around 3 times a day, and really, I shouldn't worry too much about this, but this nevertheless is but a small window into what is going on in my life. You'll note I did not recall Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix or The Devil Wears Prada. Nooo, this is
Standing in the tempest: painters of the Hungarian avant-garde, 1908-1930, a book where "tempest" is only included because the author was sitting at his Microsoft word document at 3 AM the night before he had to hand off the last chapter of his book to his editors and he sat there thinking "HOW can I make this more interesting? There's GOT to be a way for me to spice this up! I KNOW! I'll put the word 'tempest' in! Everyone enjoys a thundering gale from time to time!" I can only hope that this does not happen when I am writing my thesis. Only instead of making the title include the word tempest, I'd just write the story of what actually happened to the Donner party way back in the day.

So yes. Not much going on here. I am staying up to Draino the sink. Such is the stuff life is made of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home