Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Spirit

The washing machine repair man is supposed to come any minute now. The window is 1-5, and it's probably around 2 right now. I am getting to be pretty much an expert at this window business, what with having to have the dishwasher man come in Chicago about 3 different times. Only to discover that we'd been using the wrong sort of soap, but no matter, that has been discussed earlier.

Even though I know this is the only realistic way to schedule such appointments, I am still not a huge fan of time windows. I need specific times. These people are telling someone to wait 4 hours who will probably want to know down to the last second when to expect to go into labor or when the weather will change. During these 4 hours I could be doing something else! Like sleeping! Or going to the mall for the 9th time this break!

This morning I drove some friends to the airport and drove their car back to the SCV. This car is a Cadillac something or other. It doesn't matter what model exactly, the word "Cadillac" should immediately trigger a vision of a huge monster of a car. Cadillac, yacht, rocket, small country, they are all synonymous for me considering my rather petite height. This is the type of car that, ahem, OLDER people generally drive because the usual convertibles EVERY good Californian drives at 85 mph threaten to blow their wigs off and to disarrange their false teeth. And because you never know when you're going to have to use your car as a battering ram or a submarine in California.

I had a hard time reaching the gas pedal because I was basically sitting in the back passenger seat (my friends are quite a bit taller than me), before I realized that everything I ever would need in my life is found on the armrest of the door, including a shower nozzle and a heartbeat monitor, in addition to the seat adjuster. So I was able to drive home without being in a fully reclining position.

On the way home my mom and the owner of the car kept on trying to call me for various reasons, which I can't handle. I am an excellent multitasker: I am able to sing and drive at the same time, I am able to listen to how Macy's has EVERYTHING I might ever need for the holidays and drive, I can dance and drive, I can cough and drive, I can snap and drive, I can breath and drive, I can blink and drive, I can cross-stitch and drive, I can do long division and drive, but I cannot cellphone and drive. I know my limitations. By the end of the drive, when people were calling to ask EXACTLY when I'd be home, I thought I should give them a time window for my arrival: the back of the car would be arriving a half hour after the front of the car reached my town, and I'd be getting there sometime between that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home