Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I REALLY don't want to go back to Chicago

I thought I had, at one point, written about the joy of getting new glasses. About eye appointments. About how ecstatic I am when I am at the optometry center, but apparently I talked about this joy in conjunction with dentist appointments, because I love going there as well.

Let me tell you now, then: I love going to the eye doctors. Not just because this usually means new frames, but because of all the out-of-this-world, awesome things they can see in your eyes. Like yesterday, my eye doctor looked at the BACK OF MY RETINA. THROUGH THE FRONT OF IT. WITH A TINY MAGNIFYING GLASS. WHICH MEANS THAT HE COULD SEE PART OF MY BRAIN. This is not an everyday occurrence, everyone! I only wish they would make glasses that would make ME see the backs of everyone's eyes.

Yesterday, though, something weird happened. I didn't get new frames for eyeglasses, I opted to go for prescription sunglasses instead, the wisdom of which I am beginning to question now. I remember during the summer saying a bunch of times "I wish I had prescription sunglasses. I REALLY wish I had prescription sunglasses. Geez, it would be really nice if I had prescription sunglasses," and when I went to the optometrist yesterday, after seeing that none of the glasses really had "ADRIANNE!" written all over them, I said "Man, it would be really nice to have prescription sunglasses."

(On a side note, though, the ones that did appeal to me seemed so outrageous that I began to wonder if just maybe I needed to get a stronger prescription. Gold frames with massive amounts of bling on the side? Was I thinking straight?)

This is beginning to worry me because new glasses meant an entirely new me, since I wear my glasses religiously. And yesterday, I decided that none of the glasses fit me quite as well as the ones I have now. What if this means that from now I am going to be that person who wears the same glasses forever? What if I am stagnating? What if the next step is that I decide that I am entirely happy the way I am right now?

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Average Joe said...

I'm glad my glasses don't define me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home