Monday, February 18, 2008

Today was an ok day

It’s come to my attention that winter in Chicago is sometimes less than pleasant. Actually, sometimes it downright stinks. And I say “come to my attention” because what makes it so unpleasant, the slipping on the ice continuously, is something that I don’t register immediately. The scenarios usually go something like this:

I’m walking. Suddenly I’m sitting.

On Saturday night this was made doubly unpleasant by rain starting to fall when it was still relatively cold. Chemistry has taught me that water will freeze below a certain degree, but what it never bothered revealing was that it is possible for it to rain, for that to freeze, and to never see a flake of snow in the process. So Saturday night, after taking my glasses off to protect them from the rain and walking home, I realized that lo, I had dropped my glasses somewhere. Which meant that I had to retrace all my steps, on the ice, in the rain, without glasses. And I was walking home on a SATURDAY night from a FRIEND’S apartment, which might have meant that my eye-hand-foot coordination skills weren’t so great to begin with. So bent over in half, looking for my glasses in sludge/ice, I did have a couple of accidents. After a bit, I sat down and in front of cars, darkened buildings, streetlights, and strangers I swore that, with God as my witness, that was the last time I was going to fall this winter.

The next day I went curling, which is a sport on ice, during which I took some really magnificent spills. As in for one of them, 2 other teams stopped what they were doing to make sure I was actually laughing and not crying. Right when I got home I fell getting out of the car, and today I slipped a mere 2 times while trying to get a hold of DHL, which is another story for another time.
The long and short of this is that I don’t care about my dignity anymore. I don’t care that I look like a fool when I’m walking, that the only time I am ever graceful is putting my socks on and off, I just want the pain to stop.

1 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Russell said...

I have an idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home