Saturday, September 06, 2008

I'm Hungry!

In every place I've worked before this, bugs have always been a BIG DEAL. The ants, the long ones that crawl in peoples' ears at night, the small ones that sort of just meander from dark corner to dark corner, if anyone ever saw one of those, it was akin to the apocalypse. Exterminators were called in, food was eradicated, every single crumb on the ground was lasered into nothingness, and no one could eat for 5 hours before entering the workplace. One of the most noticeable differences I've experienced this week at my new job is that there are bugs. There are also tons of plants littering every nook and cranny, and then when I walk up the stairs to the 4th floor, I am greeted by a sky-blue colored sheep, and a small model of a humpback whale in a forest of greenery.

Wednesday, after arriving in to Islip late at night and after a full day of spiriting over boxes to Fedex to have them shipped out Tuesday night, I started my job at the American Museum of Natural History. While I can't securely pass judgment yet about every aspect of my job, I do love where I work. Since it was my first week at work, I could spend quite a bit of time wandering through the museum and the different displays.

My favorite African mammal: the bongo.

And my least favorite part about the museum: all the cultural displays with the different ethnicity mannequins. They all look so sad. And unattractive. And so infernally bored with their surroundings that I would sit in front of the cases and just wonder "What did you DO in your past life for someone to design you so miserable and bored? So completely disconnected from your fishing/wedding/bread breaking?"

And so, what the readers can look forward to each week, I hope, is a different display case with my narration accompanying it.

I am really, really hungry now. I'm going to go look for a bite to eat.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I as well am hungry... for a new update!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home