Friday, January 02, 2009

Ring out the old year, ring in the new. Ring a ding ding.


December


June


April


March


January


February


September


July


November


August


October


November

I'm sure you wish those were in order.

I've deliberated about what sort of an entry I should write. The normal one describing how I never make New Year's resolutions? One reviewing the sort of year I had? One talking about how happy I am December is over?

Given my current mood is to not write a cohesive entry at all, I don't think so.

When I was coming back from California to New York December 27, I got to the airport anticipating my plane would be delayed. And it was. I had already come to terms with the fact that every airline is informed in advance that I am going to be on the flight and then just delay departure by 4 hours, this time because the wind was whistling through a door, and instead of arriving at 1 am in New York, we would be landing at 4:30 AM.

Since I had already come to terms with this and am pretty complacent about the whole spending the night at the airport thing, I decided to get to know the traveling companion sitting next to me. I have a huge penchant for talking to people at airports. It is the easiest thing in the world: chances are slim to none that you will ever see the person again, and you don't even need to introduce yourself. When I was stuck at an airport for 5 hours once in Canada, I ended up having dinner with a man who was deliberating what to do with the girlfriend he was living with who wanted to get married, but who he thought was too old for him. My eloquent advice for him was to shit or get off the pot. And no, I don't think being surrounded by people who don't speak the same language as me would stop me.

Anyhow, given the sort of year I had and the sort of month I had ended it with, I found myself being on the receiving end for advice and a friendly ear. For four hours we analyzed what happened over the course of the year you see depicted above, which admittedly excludes extremely important events. The prognosis for all of this was that I'm going to be fine. That who knows what is going to happen this year, but that I'm tired of starting everything off expecting the worst. Does that sound like a New Year's resolution? Maybe.

And no, I don't know where May went. Evidently, that was spent in a happy post thesis stupor without a camera.

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the shot of downtown Chicago taken from the pier - those were the good old days!

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Emeasley said...

These are fantastic. Well done evoking each month and whatnot. Happy new year!
-Emerson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home